Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hello out there!

Wow, can't believe it's been 8 months since I posted last. I have to admit, sadly, that my knitting has taken a back seat as well.

I think some of the problem is that I don't go to a knitting group anymore. It really helps to keep knitting and crafting if you have a supportive group, people who share the same passion and understand the ups and downs of that craft. Sadly, I haven't been able to find a group that I fit into in the 2 years I have lived here. That, and lack of close yarn shops. I adore sock yarn, and there isn't too much of that around here. At least, not what I crave.

I took a long break from knitting. I don't think I picked up the needles all summer. I did make one sock, and didn't really like how the one turned out and started on another pattern. So I've been knitting pretty regularly in the evenings while I watch TV, at least an hour or so most days. It's nice to feel the needles again, to see my work growing into something recognizable.

I  went through a yarn purging about a year ago. I got rid of all the yarn (acrylic) that I had accumulated, a whole big trash bag full, and gave it away on freecycle. I have a smallish house and really nowhere to store extra yarn that has sat around for years. Might as well give it to someone who can and will use it, right? About that time, I became something of a yarn snob. If I only knit once in awhile, why not use the best quality materials I can afford, right? And it does make a difference!

I have been thinking about making some toddler sweaters for my boys this winter, but have not really fully decided yet. By the time I get around to it, it'll be spring! I might just work on my socks and a few hats and mittens. Those are easy and fairly quick to knit.

So that's the update for now. Hopefully I'll be back before 8  months with another update!

No comments: