Monday, June 16, 2008

Dishcloth Swap topic 2: Arrival of Summer

The question is how do I know when it's the start of summer? What event signifies to me the beginning of summer?

Interesting, since I was just  thinking about this the other day. Actually, I went through a bunch of my old CD's from my past (90's) and was thinking how they cataloged my taste. I had several different CD's in different genres.  I went through an alternative phase: Nirvana of course, but I had some Melvins, Butthole Surfers, Orange 9mm and Wax. Wax had this really cool video where  this guy was running though the street on fire. Then I went through a blues stage: Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I had a techno stage for awhile. NIN, chemical brothers. It's funny how my tastes changed, and the music brought back memories that I had forgotten.

Anyway, I digress. What is my "trigger" for summer? I think one thing is the beginning of the festivals. There's a different festival each week. Maple Syrup, Apple, Strawberry, Blueberry, Summerfest, etc. The Sunburst Marathon is announced, a charity run. The public swimming pools open, the library closes on Sunday. It stays light out until at least 9 or 10 pm.  The sounds of birds early in the mornings. And I guess the warmer air. I know that's a given, but when the wind blows and it's not freezing or crisp, that tells me summer is here. Sometimes you can even feel the humidity on the wind.

I need to show a pic in this post, so let's see if I can find one. Oh yeah, we had a storm the other day. It hailed. My daughter was running around in it (go figure) and she said it felt like popcorn on her head. LOL. 025 026

023

I've been knitting and crocheting. The sad thing is that I can't post anything yet, since it's a secret. Guess I have to knit up some dishcloths to post. Here's one I did for a swap. It comes from K1P1KeepingYouInStitchesStudio, and I did it in black PnC.

032

It was quick and easy. I made this for a Father's  Day theme swap on my Ravelry group. I love the texture. Still haven't started on my Clap. I need to get a scarf done soon, and some other things I can't mention here.

Oh, and a quick movie review. Or two. If you want to watch a good funny movie, check out Georgia Rule. It stars Lindsay Lohan, Felicity Huffman, and Dermot Mulroney. It was very smart, and Lindsay is a phenomenal  actress. Very believable. Also, Last King Of Scotland is a good movie. I think Forrest Whittaker got an Oscar for his role.  You can just see something is going to happen, and it's pins and needles until it actually does. The ending had my stomach in knots. Very good acting here as well, and I really really like James McAvoy! He's my favorite new actor.

Hopefully I will get some more knitting related content soon!

No comments: