Monday, May 21, 2012

Bittersweet goodbyes

It's that time again. It's been nearly two years, so I guess it's time to move again. I don't know why we do this, but so far that has been the pattern.
We are moving at the end of the month, close to my hometown. For now, it will be a summer adventure of camping. I'm not sure of our exact destination yet, which is scary, but I see lots of fun this summer for sure!
I just discovered a new LYS. I'm bummed since I'm leaving so soon, I wish I would have found it sooner. The customer service there was outstanding. It is what a LYS should be. Knowledgeable, fun, and informative. I discovered some new inexpensive yarns and even some new brands I wouldn't be averse to trying. Since I'm shelling out my hard earned money, I want to make sure I like the yarn and will enjoy working with it. 
Anyway, if you're in Central New York, near Syracuse or Utica, I suggest visiting Pleasantries Yarn. It's tucked in Clinton, NY, a very cool college town with quaint shops and gorgeous scenery. Really, you'll be glad you did!

So I'm finally starting on my cowl for April. It's funny to think I could have gotten all my knitting goals done while visiting Disney for ten days including a two day drive (each way!). I did get some knitting done in the car, which helped some, but I only finished one project in April. I caught up pretty quickly, though.
I finished my mitts, hat, and socks for April. I'm still working on Prickle, my cowl for the month. Prickle is a mobius loop, so I did  learn a new technique. I tried doing it on a shorter needle and the results were hilarious! So when you do make a mobius loop, make sure you have a looong cord- at least 40 inches! I had to order a needle and cable from KP, so that took a while. My first attempt was to make the cowl using a sport weight- Madeline Tosh Pashmina. I love the yarn, but it was too light and airy for what I wanted. I went to the yarn store and discovered Remix by Borrocco, which is a cotton yarn. I tend to turn my nose up at cotton since my experience with it is limited to mostly dishcloth cotton. This cotton is way different and soft!  Working on this cowl is so much fun!

Here are some of my FO's.

 I made these last year! I saw this pattern and fell in love with them! The Mystery Monkey socks were fun to knit and I like how they mock the socks that make Monkeys! (Please ignore the dirty socks, I wore them!)


This is the Opie Hat, based on a character from Sons of Anarchy. I actually queued this before I ever saw SOA (I'm a diehard fan, BTW) and just got around to making this. I don't like knitting all that ribbing in sock yarn, but it turned out nice! I think I might try it with the suggested yarn to see how soft it is.


These are my April Mitts: Can-Cans. It's a cabled pattern without using a cable needle. I really liked working on these and they worked up quickly. The only problem I had is the size of them. As written, they fit my very slender 9 yr old nicely. I'm going to make these in a pink yarn for myself using a larger needle and adding another cable repeat.
If you want to see more details, please visit my Ravelry page with links to the actual patterns.  I'll be back soon with more pics of FO's!

No comments: